Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Law of Attraction vs. Action

A lot of people following the Law of Attraction phenomenon believe that Law of Attraction is all there is. The only force in the universe and all you have to do is get feeling good and sit on your butt and things will come knocking on your door.

For me, it is becoming incredibly frustrating. There seems to be no balance in this way of thinking. We live in a physical reality. We live in an action-based reality. All of us are required to DO things in order to GET things. Some people do, do, do, do and work very hard and struggle and don't get very far, and others do less work and accomplish much more. I believe attitude and the Law of Attraction is what is responsible for this.

But the people who are truly successful, even those who admit they focus on feeling good and the Law of Attraction, they are still DOING stuff. In fact, successful people are usually quite busy doing a LOT of physical actions in order to get where and what they want.

Perhaps the TYPE of actions they take are different than those who are miserable and unsuccessful. An unsuccessful person may spend 8-10 hours each day working for minimum wage. That is hard work, and they are not getting very much from that action.
A successful person may spend as many hours or more each day working, but they are meeting with many people, they are delegating responsibilities and they are enjoying their work. But they are STILL putting forth action.

The difference between inspired action, and backbreaking, miserable, belabored action is huge. It's the difference between scrubbing toilets and having a staff of people who scrub your toilet for you.

But there IS action that is needed in order to get to this place. So how do we balance the positive thinking with the action? I see people from all walks of life who believe in the Law of Attraction, study it, meditate, focus on good feeling thoughts... but there is SOMETHING more that separates the good feeling poor people and the good feeling successful people.

I know many LOA students will be up in arms, saying I'm focusing on what I don't want, or that I'm taking score too soon. But there IS something different going on here. For example, my radio show. I love my show and it's a wonderful experience. I would like to earn my living working in radio. So what is the difference between the action I am taking with my show, and the actions of others who have similar shows and are raking in the money? Do others simply have a better business sense?

When all of us are focusing on good feeling thoughts and what we want rather than what we don't want, what is that other variable that is separating the successful from the... shall we say somewhat less successful?

10 comments:

  1. Hi, well, I can only comment based on my own life. I am a true believer in the law of attraction. I would even go as far to say I found my husband that way. You have to "put it out there". What that means, you have to speak it, you have to believe it. And you can't pretend or pretend to yourself. The universe knows. I surround myself with positive people. Positive things keep coming. Yes, I can feel your impatience as I sometimes feel that way too and am reminded that we as human beings want it, and want it NOW. But the timing is not up to us. But it is our responsibility to follow what our inner selves tell us. Who is to measure success? Are you talking about money? Love? Everyone has their own measure. I can only talk about my own. I hope maybe this has helped? Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie...

    Great questions you are asking - I started to leave a comment and realized it was going to be longer than your post!

    So... I left my comment in a blog post on my website. I would love to keep this conversation going....
    http://livingthelawofattraction.com/loa-blog/you-are-not-a-human-doing-you-are-a-human-being/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to share that I find Louise Hay's Morning and Evening Meditations a great help for feeling good and hopeful about the day before I get into action. They helped transform my life a few years ago while I got on with meeting my responsibilities, which at the time were not a lot of fun (minimum-wage high-stress job, abusive partner, unplanned pregnancy). She says it's fine to fall asleep listening to the evening mediation and the morning meditation is best done while still in bed. So the only effort is to set the alarm 27 minutes earlier, snuggle down and let her beautiful voice and wisdom get you lined up for a wonderful day.

    That CD is less than ten dollars from Hay House and I would be positive that anyone who listens to it for 30 days straight would experience miracles in their inner life and as we know, as sure as night follows day, the miracles in the outer life follow. They did for me and I am living a much happier story now.

    That's my tuppence worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first comment. We really have to work on our deepest innermost belief . We need to be ruthlessly honest with ourselves and see if we have any traces of self doubt within us about us achieving the success that we are envisioning and talking about. In other words, we need to unconsciously ( not conscious)believe that we can achieve.

    My 2 cents
    srini

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that sometimes we all have to pay our dues and work hard for very little.
    And of course, sometimes there are cycles of great luck and things seem to fall into place for someone.

    The Law of Atraction is a decent starting point. However, some of its proponents come from money, and are surrounded by money. So once they become positive in thought and deed, and give up destructive habits like too much alcohol or too many drugs, "the Universe" seemingly rewards them overnight.

    Doesn't it also seem that often the Law of Attraction allows people to get caught up inside their own little world, and all they know how to do is to endlessly spout out the maxims off TLOA over and over. They do not know the slightest thing about nurturing, and I am not sure that they know about Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To live the law of attraction leads you to realize certain experiences defy words and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Faith without works is dead". I can want to attract something all day long, but if I don't do some ACTION, I am not going to get anything. But here is the catch for me. I have to disconnect from the outcome. I am NOT responsible for the Re-action, I am responsible for the Action. I have to "act as if" daily, all the time. If I want to be thin and healthy, even if I weigh 300 pounds (which I DID!)I have to think and act like a thin, healthy person, and what DO THIN HEALTHY PEOPLE DO??? They eat healthy food, move their body according to manufacturers recommendations and don't beat themselves up continually about their weight! So I did these things all the while concentrating on MANIFESTING a healthier way of being and guess what? I have lost over 100 pounds, I am a thin(ner) health(ier) person who loves herself. I also need to stop with the instant gratification clause. And if you are anything like me, instant gratification is TOO SLOW! I put my intention to the Universe and thats it. And I have to be clear, mind, body, spirit about what I am intending for my life. The Universe will always oblige, good or bad, it is ambivilent in nature, we can't take it personally. The time frame isn't up to us. Just the praying (intention) and then paying attention (sitting still) for the next indicated right action that brings us a step closer to manifest.

    I don't know this are just my thoughts spilled out :)

    I am glad to have made your aquaintence!

    Kyra (Kyrazylove)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One facet of LOA that people tend to forget is intention and truth. There's a difference between a positive statement and a true statement. Both must be present when you "put it out there". Intention is usually the difference. How about - I share dymanic affirmative thoughts and discover wonderful new people via my radio show and blog. My radio show is a vibrant resource to reach many people and fill them with the abundance that is my calling.
    You have a wonderful gift and the awesome ability to reach many, many people. I send you blessings and prayers for your continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent points! Wallace Wattles addresses this in some depth in the Science of Getting Rich. You do great work pointing this out!

    Fan the spark!

    John Soriano
    www.sparkyourspirit.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the awesome comments, everyone! There are some excellent points here:)

    ReplyDelete